Reflection Journal - Week 12

Reflection Journal - Week 12

  1. Summary of the main ideas and topics of the week.
    1. This week we discussed self-reliance. We learned that self reliance is defined by President Monson as being “the ability, commitment, and effort to provide the necessities of life for self and family”. We learned more about Muhammed Yunus and he compared the poor to Bonsai Trees, explaining that the poor sometimes don’t have the opportunity to grow past the limits they have been given. If re-planted in a different environment, they can thrive differently. I think this helps us realize that we can help others change their circumstances to make them become more self-reliant.
  2. A response to a specific reading, video, or activity. For instance, did something spark interest, surprise, anger, inspire, or confuse you? Reference the content, add your thoughts, and explain your reaction.
a.   I really like the Bonsai video and the TedTalk from this last week. I showed the Bonsai video to my husband who grew up in Nicaragua and we had a huge discussion about how some people can not physically “uproot” their beliefs and circumstances to see life from a different perspective or have a chance to become more. As social innovators and Public Health Educators, it’s important to realize that not everyone can help themselves but changes and innovations CAN function in a way to do so. The TedTalk about Poverty,Money and Love was great because I realized that you don’t need to be a trained professional to see a need and fill it. I love that the speaker was genuine and mentioned that she had no prior business experience or knowledge to back up her goals/ideas.
  1. Respond to the weekly prompt.
Week 12 Prompt: Reflect on your own personal development in regards to self-reliance.
         I think I am becoming more self-reliant in many different ways. I think one thing that has helped me be self-reliant is my desire to work and to be creative in creating jobs and work. I think one thing I could work on is trying to follow my budgets a little more carefully.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflection Journal - Week 13

Reflection Journal - Week 3